The FIEP (French acronym for France-Italie-Espagne-Portugal / France-Italy-Spain-Portugal, which are the first four “historical” members) is an association consisting of gendarmeries and police forces with military status originally from the Euro-Mediterranean area.
Founded in 1994, it then comprised the French National Gendarmerie, the Italian Carabinieri Corps and the Spanish Civil Guard. It was quickly joined by the Portuguese National Republican Guard in 1996. Afterwards, the Turkish Gendarmerie in 1998 swelled the ranks followed by the Dutch Royal Marechaussee and the Moroccan Royal Gendarmerie both in 1999, the Romanian Gendarmerie in 2002 and the Jordanian Gendarmerie Forces in 2011. The Argentinian Gendarmeria National and the Chilean Carabinieros joined the association as Associate Members in 2005 and the Qatari Internal Security Force “Lekhwiya” in 2013. The Tunisian National Guard became a member in 2016. The Ukrainian National Guard and the Palestinian national security Forces followed in 2017, as did the Brazilian State Military Police and Military Fire Brigades. Finally, the Djibouti National Gendarmerie joined in 2017 and during the Summit of October 2018, two forces became Observer: the Kuwait National Guard and the Senegalese National Gendarmerie.
How to become a Member of the Association:
The interested Force Commander presents an official request to the FIEP Presidency. Several steps are undertaken as follows:
- Representatives are invited to present the Force, its status and its missions during one of the Commissions.
- Then, an evaluation team composed of several members of the Association, performs a “fact-finding mission” in the candidate Force.
- This team proposes a recommandation on the opportunity to welcome the candidate in the Association.
- If the Senior Council agrees on the admission of the Force, it is granted the Observer status for a one-year period (minimum), in order to verify the structural similarities and institutional affinity of the force.
- After this period, and upon decision of the Senior Council, the Observer becomes full Member.