NATIONAL GUARD OF UKRAINE
On 13th of March, 2014, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (Parliament) has adopted the Law On National Guard of Ukraine.
According to the Law the National Guard of Ukraine is a military formation with law enforcement functions. It is a part of the system of Ministry of Interior of Ukraine and is designed to fulfill the tasks related to protection and safeguarding the life, rights, freedoms and legitimate interests of citizens, society and the state from criminal and other wrongful infringements, and also maintenance of public order and public security, as well as to ensure, in coordination with law enforcement agencies, the national security and protection of national borders, stopping terrorist activities and activities of illegitimate paramilitary or armed troops (groups), terrorist organizations, organized groups and criminal organizations.
MINISTRY OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS OF UKRAINE
The National Guard of Ukraine is a part of the system of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine.
The Commander-in-Chief of the National Guard of Ukraine is subordinated to the Minister of Internal Affairs.
He is assigned by the President of Ukraine on the proposal of the Minister of Internal Affairs.
The National Guard of Ukraine is a part of defense and security sector of Ukraine.
NATIONAL GUARD OF UKRAINE MAIN FUNCTIONS:
The uniqueness of the National Guard of Ukraine is in the fact that it performs its tasks during the peace, crisis periods as well as during the martial law. It performs the law enforcement functions during the peace time, stabilization tasks at the crisis period and military functions during the period of martial law.
1. To protect the constitutional system of Ukraine and its territorial integrity from violent attempts to transform them.
2. To maintain public order and ensure protection of life, rights, freedoms and legitimate interests of citizens.
3. To contribute to the maintenance of public safety and public order during meetings, rallies, marches, demonstrations and other public events in case of risks to public health and safety.
4. To provide security guard support to public authorities.
5. To protect nuclear facilities, nuclear materials, nuclear waste and other sources of radioactive emission in public ownership, as well as critical infrastructure.
6. To protect special cargoes, the list of which shall be determined by Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.
7. To protect diplomatic missions and consulates of foreign countries, as well as representative offices of international organizations in Ukraine.
8. To participate in activities to cease armed conflicts and other acts of provocation at national borders, as well as activities to prevent massive crossing of national borders from neighboring countries.
9. To participate in special operations to neutralize armed offenders, to stop activity of illegitimate paramilitary or armed gangs, organized groups and criminal organizations inside Ukraine, as well as measures related to counterterrorism activities.
10. To be involved in riot control efforts if there exist risks of violence against citizens.
NATIONAL GUARD OF UKRAINE STRUCTURE
1. The Main Department (Kyiv).
2. Territorial Commands: Eastern, Northern, Western, Southern, Central, Crimean.
3. Directly subordinated units.
4. Military educational and training institutions (centers).
According to the functions, the NGU is composed of:
1. Operational units
2. Public order protection units
3. Convoy units
4. Special purpose units
5. Key infrastructure protection units
6. Embassies and consular institutions protection units
7. NGU aviation for operational movement of units to any region of the country
8. Supply units
NGU is a relatively young structure, but it has a wealth of experience in international cooperation as well as international projects and trainings.
International projects and training
1. Twinning projects
2. «Fearless Guardian»
3. The Ukraine-Romanian projects “Strengthening an institutional capacity of the National Guard of Ukraine”
4. Project of Physical Nuclear Security system of Ukraine inclusion to the structure of the global Physical Nuclear Security system
5. International military exercises “Rapid Trident”, “Sea Breeze”.
6. Multinational Joint Committee
7. European Union Police Service Training (EUPST)
Cooperation with the international organizations
1. Joining FIEP association
2. Cooperation with NATO
3. Participation in international peacekeeping operations under aegis of UN
4. Cooperation with the similar foreign structures
NGU actively develops cooperation with the similar military and law enforcement structures of EU, NATO Member States and other foreign countries. The main goals of the cooperation are experience exchange in the sphere of professional activity and implementation of the best world practices and methods in the National Guard of Ukraine activities.
Foreign NGU partners:
1. Italian Carabinieri Corps
2. California National Guard
3. Romanian Gendarmerie
4. National Gendarmerie of France
5. National Guard of the Armed Forces of Georgia
6. Armed Forces of Poland
7. Turkish gendarmerie
According to the Law of Ukraine the National Guard can take part in the peacekeeping operations.
20 servicemen of NGU participate in the UN lead peacekeeping operations in Cyprus, Cote d’Ivoire, South Sudan, Liberia, Democratic Republic of Congo, UN headquarters (New York).
The department of peacekeeping activity support has been established
The international training center (for peacekeepers) has been created.
NATIONAL GUARD OF UKRAINE REFORM
The Strategy of the National Guard development by the year of 2020 has been outlined as well as the future steps to approach the command, communication, cyber defense and logistics systems of the EU and NATO member-states.
Main areas of reformation: improvement of public security missions, logistics, command control and communication system, social and medical support, training system.
The publicity and openness are the main principles, professionalism and mobility are the main priorities.